Search

Friday, June 30, 2017

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

After hearing about this book for a few years, I thought I would give it a go. I didn't technically read it, as I listened to the audiobook.

This was one terrific mystery--I KNEW who did it, several times. The characters in the book were well done and complex. I suspect there has been growth in the main character over time--but this is the only one I've read, so I'm not sure. 

I truly came to care for Harry Hole (but will say, seriously, his name is Harry Hole? Am I the only person over the age of 12 to find that incredibly funny?), Rachel, and Oleg. I really cared about their survival and their relationships. As a detective, Harry is a great character. He is always angry and, as Rachel says, always involved. He is gruff and seems unsentimental, but it's pretty clear that's not true. He is gruff, but he is all sentiment and intuition and painful emotion. His compassion for Katrine Bratt, his relationship with Oleg, his own conscious--all show that this man is far more than just a nasty, crusty old drunk of an inspector. 

The crimes were grizzly and graphic--just what I expect from a Nordic mystery. Secondary characters like forensic expert Bjorn Holm are delightfully quirky and strange, but entirely believable. The plot moves quickly--more of a page turner than I anticipated--yet remains complex and layered. I was moved to revulsion, fear, sadness, and elation--over and over. 

All in all, it's a great mystery if you like them bloody, complex, and a little strange.


Recommended by Cynthia Lambert
Click here to place on hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment