Search

Friday, October 6, 2017

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

The writing in this very very short novel is spectacular. When I learned that Jiles is a poet, I was not surprised. The writing in this book transports you--to 1870 Texas, in the rain, in the wagon, on the road. Jiles description of nature are so beautiful, you can practically smell the rain, the dust, the horses, the blood, sweat, and the tears. I savored every minute and wished the book had lasted another 150 pages. 

To all the writers turning out 500+ page books over and over--I dare you to try and accomplish what Jiles does in a mere 224 pages (and yes, I'm thinking of Franzen--his love of birds is clear, but he makes it sound so damn dull. He could benefit from shortening his story nearly every time...).

Recommended by Cynthia Lambert
Click here to view in the catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment